Alfred Mylne (1872 – 1951) is undoubtedly one of the most famous of British yacht-designers. During his lifetime over four hundred yachts were built to his designs many of which are still sailing today. Most notable would be the impressive racing yacht ‘Thendara ‘
In 1896 Alfred Mylne set up a design office in Glasgow, eight years later he drew up plans for ‘ Petrel ‘ a 20ft. water-line gaff yawl which was subsequently built by Blyth Boatbuilding Company in Northumberland where her owner G Clehan of Monkseaton lived and sailed. In the early 1920’s ‘Petrel”s new owner Graham Satow of Ardnadam, Argyll installed a Berguis auxiliary engine and altered the rig to bermudian sloop. In the 1930’s ‘Petrel ‘ was owned by P F Carmichael of Rhu, Dumbartonshire. After the Second World War the Archer family of Balmoral, Belfast bought the yacht and sailed her from Strangford Lough Yacht Club. They fitted a 6hp Norman petrol engine in 1951 and further modified the rig.
They continued to own ‘ Petrel ‘ until the 1960’s when she changed hands to new owners in County Antrim.
Carvel pitch-pine planking copper fastened to oak timbers. Oak backbone, sheathed marine-ply deck, teak coachroof and cockpit coamings. Raked stem with cutaway forefoot, long iron ballast keel, counter stern. Engine removed.
Basic interior with two settee berths port and starboard, galley with cooker. Space foreward for two more berths / sail stowage.
Bermudian rig with timber spars and set of sails.
Launching / yard trailer.
This must be an extremely rare opportunity to find an unrestored Alfred Mylne designed yacht of this size. A managable and very worthwhile project. Delivery transport available to a UK address. Contact us for more information or to arrange an appointment to view.
Lying: County Antrim