HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
GALLANTRY BOWER was designed and built by M W Blackmore & Sons Ltd of Torridge, Devon for Horace Ashton-Jewell a surveyor from Dulverton, Somerset. Horace wanted a sturdy motor-sailer for fishing off the North Devon Coast and moor in Clovelly Harbour. He named the boat after a spectacular headland near Clovelly called Gallantry Bower.
M W Blackmore & Sons have a recognised reputation as builders of a wide variety of boats. Established before the Second World War in Bideford they turned to constructing Admiralty craft during the 1940s. Thereafter building fishing boats, tugs, passenger craft and private yachts. In 1964 they amalgamated with several other boatyards to form Bideford Shipyard & Co Ltd. With changing times this yard closed in 1981 sadly marking the end of shipbuilding in Bideford.
GALLANTRY BOWER was first registered in September 1948 and photographed that year with her fishing number in the harbour at Clovelly.
In 1954 Horace sold GALLANTRY BOWER to Ronald Llewellyn of Eastbourne who became the new registered owner, then followed Barnie Henry of Hailsham, Sussex in 1964, also that year Donald Young of Weybridge. In 1975 Charles Stewart of Sudbury, Suffolk bought GALLANTRY BOWER ownership transferring to his widow Margarette in 1985.
The current owner bought the vessel some 4 years ago and has since used the boat for living aboard. GALLANTRY BOWER is comfortably fitted out for inland cruising or as a more permanent home.
Carvel pitch pine planked hull, copper fastened to steam bent oak timbers and oak centreline.
Teak/Iroko laid decks. Mahogany brightwork.
21hp LISTER (type SL4) three-cylinder air-cooled diesel engine with LISTER marine gearbox.
Cockpit storage lockers to three sides under bench seats.
Diesel tank with filler cap
Battery box and battery bank (1 x starter battery and 1 x leisure battery)
Shore hookup (240volts)
Manual bilge pump
Offset helm position and engine controls.
(some refurbishment required)
Teak deck with brass mushroom vents
Mahogany skylight with opening windows above the saloon
Opening skylight above the forward berth.
Anchor with chain
Mainmast (no sails)
Galvanised steel deck stanchions with a wooden capping rail.
Custom waterproof canvas to protect deck which attaches to stanchions and top of wheelhouse.
with sink unit and gas cooker.
Pantry and crockery storage under the sink.
12 volt LED lights
All hardwood lockers with brass catches.
Opening portlight above the sink.
Fusebox and circuit breakers in mounted box with a battery isolation switch.
Automatic bilge pump with float switch
12 volt LED light
Sterling battery charger
Fridge connected to a 240-volt socket
Skin fitting for bilge pump
Coalbrookdale multifuel stove
2 x built-in sofas with storage under (1 slides out to form additional bed)
2 x 240-volt sockets
12-volt LED lights
Storage units either side separating saloon from fore cabin with leaded windows either side.
Portlights either side.
Built-in storage either side with a removable centrepiece to convert to a double bed.
12-volt LED lights.
Bespoke foam and memory foam mattress.
Hatch to chain locker and further storage.
Non-opening portlights either side.
An attractive, traditional 1930s style motor yacht offering great scope for further refurbishment or ideal as a permanent or holiday home. Well placed for exploring the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and waterways of South Yorkshire. Vessels like GALLANTRY BOWER are becoming increasingly rare and as such sought-after. Contact us for more information or to arrange a visit aboard.
Current Boat Safety Certificate
GUIDE: SOLD – September 2020
VIEWING: Through the brokers’ CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE –
01905-356482 / email@example.com