32ft MORECAMBE BAY PRAWNER GAFF CUTTER
SPRAY (1893) is a Classic Morecambe Bay Prawner with an exceptional pedigree. Regrettably due to bereavement ‘SPRAY’ is looking for a new and caring custodian. No finance has been spared for her restoration and continued professional maintenance with maritime upgrades to the highest level of any Morecambe Bay Prawner.
She was built by the famous Lancashire Nobby builder, Crossfields of Arnside in 1896 and is one of the last remaining boats from that era that is not only afloat but regularly partakes successfully in boating events all around the Irish Sea, from Liverpool where she is based. As well as a regular competitor in the Liverpool and Conway Nobby races. Her sailing adventures include North Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Cumbrian Coast and not forgetting her years present at the Peel Traditional Boat Festival on the Isle of Man. Lots of trophies to her credit.
Built-in 1896 by Crossfields of Arnside, she is 32’3” x 9’6” X 4′, registered as 7.36 tons. She has accommodation for four persons, two single bunks and one large (bow) double / two singles. This turn-key boat comes with a large suit of sails, a self-folding propeller, Garmin GPS, DSC Radio and a 4 person liferaft. Her rigging comprises two Wykeham-Martin Furling Gears along with sheets set up for one person management of the mainsail. A two-burner stove and a fuel tank of 40 gallons. A reliable 40hp inboard diesel engine fitted to a hydraulic gearbox. She runs at a reliable 7kts under power and can reach 9 knots under sail.
SPRAY fished Morecambe Bay until the early 1960s, then she fished the River Dee by the Evans family of Heswall. She then returned to Maryport for many years. She was bought by Tom Middlebrook in 1987 who had her completely rebuilt over a period of three years. SPRAY is a regular competitor and winner in the Liverpool and Conway Nobby races.
SPRAY fished Morecambe Bay until the early 1960s, then she fished the River Dee by the Evans family of Heswall. She then returned to Maryport until she was bought by her present owner.
SPRAY was built for John Gardner of 1 Main Street Morecambe, owned until at least 1898.1920 until 1925 she was used as a yacht by James Baxter, fish merchant of Morecambe. Raced in the Morecambe Regatta of 23rd September 1921.
Sold on 15th December 1925 to Wilfred Woodhouse of 27 Cross Street, Morecambe, who with his son got one hundred and twenty stone of big plaice out of the top end of the bay, a Morecambe record.
LYING: RIVER MERSEY
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE, ISLE OF WIGHT
DISCLAIMER: Classic Yacht Brokerage offer the details and photographs of this vessel in good faith as a guide but cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information or images, or warrant the condition of the vessel, machinery or rig. Buyers should instruct their representative, agents or their surveyors to investigate such details as the buyer requires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice