HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
LOA: 38 ft 5 in LWL: 26 ft Length on Deck: 37 ft 9 in Beam: 8 ft 9 in Max Draft: 6 ft Total: 588 ft² Mainsail: 320 ft² Headsail: 268 ft² Displacement: 8500 kg. Electric Windlass. Fuel Tanks Capacity 60 litres. Fresh Water Tanks Capacity 100 litres. Number of single berths: 4 Number of Cabins: 2, Number of Heads: 1
TRIUNE OF TROY Laurent Giles Channel Class Sloop – built immediately pre-war by A H Moody & Son Ltd to a design which became known as the ‘Channel Class’ completed in 1938 for Lord Russell of Liverpool. The famed design (No.19) from the board of Laurent Giles boasted a graceful sheer, balanced overhangs and a powerful bermudian cutter rig and was built of Pitch Pine on Oak.
Post-war, TRIUNE OF TROY was owned by the writer Hammond Innes for a number of years who then sold her to Sir Charles Evans; the inspired adventurer credited with promoting the use of oxygen in climbing Everest. In more recent times (since 1991) she has been in the diligent ownership of Dr David Knights with good fundamental work carried out as required over the last twenty-eight years of his custodianship. Time now that this historic classic is passed on to someone with the eye, ability and determination to maintain her in the manner that befits such a fine example of our sailing heritage.
ACCOMMODATION: Forepeak/cabin offers single (relatively wide) berth to port, with chain locker to starboard. Jabsco marine flushing WC mounted to starboard side, hand basin to port. Hanging space opposite hand basin. Light and ventilation by modern aluminium (Lewmar) framed hatch above and prismatic decklights port and starboard.
Main saloon fitted with two wide, single and parallel settee berths and large closed individual lockers outboard, beneath the side decks. Generous quarter berth to starboard of the companionway.
Chart table with a chart storage box that fits atop, fitted to the main bulkhead at starboard forward end of the main saloon. A simple galley, located to the port side of the companionway access, fitted with alcohol (meths) gimballed cooker. A well designed, deep fiddled engine box cover provides a practicable working surface, while closed lockers beneath the bridge deck and open storage beneath the port side deck are provided.
The list of owners of this 1938 Channel Class is most distinguished: Built immediately pre-war for the second Lord Russell of Liverpool from Cheyne House, London. In 1950 she was purchased by Commander Arthur Johnson VD RNVR who later sold her to Ralph Hammond Innes C.B.E., the author, but Johnson came to regret the decision to sell and attempted unsuccessfully to buy her back from Innes, who dedicated his novel ‘The Wreck of the Mary Deare’ to The Mate & Crew of Triune of Troy in memory of a gale off the Minches. Subsequently, she was owned by, among others, Sir Charles Evans of Bangor and kept at Menai Straits. Sir Charles, a mountaineer is credited with promoting the use of oxygen in climbing Everest. About 1970 Chris Elliott of Warsash bought the vessel keeping her in Holyhead and later Southampton, he was at one time Master of RSS James Clark Ross the British Antarctic Survey research ship. During the 1980s R N Richards of Evesham owned TRIUNE OF TROY keeping her in the floating-harbour at Bristol. The current owner purchased the vessel in the early 1990s stationing her on the South West Coast.
Built of pitch pine on oak by A H Moody & Sons of Swanwick. The original strap floors have been replaced using silicon bronze together with their fastenings, the cockpit has been replaced and re-built; the current deck is the third in the life of the vessel (now of 18mm marine ply, epoxy-sheathed with glass and finished with deck paint), the hull’s planking has been re-caulked and the genuine Burmese teak cappings are of timber salvaged from the former Naval Hospital in Plymouth. The for’peak has been rearranged, with the original single folding pipe cot removed making way for generous size fixed berth to port with the marine flushing head moved aft on the starboard side to offer better access and space and also accommodating a self-stowing chain stowage to the starboard side. Good quality, self-tailing winches and modern instrumentation fitted and the marine flushing head replaced. The coach roof is the original and was pioneering in its provision of a practicable doghouse toward the aft end of the accommodation – a design that evolved into the later and longer stepped coachroofs synonymous with Nicholson and Holman designs of the 1960s. TRIUNE OF TROY still sports her original mast and boom, the latter converted to enable slab reefing of the mainsail and an aluminium spinnaker pole with ProFurl reefing gear on the outer forestay.
SAILS & SPARS: The original, hollow Sitka Spruce mast is keel-stepped and well finished with varnish, as is the boom. More recent self-tailing winches by Antal replace the original mast-mounted halyard winches and the boom has been converted to enable slab-reefing of the mainsail, with modern rope clutches mounted at the forward end of the boom. The outer forestay is fitted with a modern roller reefing system, while the inner forestay carries hanked sails, with a laminated wishbone also fitted to enable the self-tacking facility. Sail Inventory Includes: Mainsail by Sanders of Lymington dating from 2008. Yankee heads’l by Sanders dated 2008. Stays’l; believed to date from approx.2010. No.1 Jib (reported to be useful in carrying a ‘Slutter’ rig) by Gowen 1968. Furling Gennaker dating from 2011. Symmetric Spinnaker (designed for a Moody 38) of indeterminate age.
MECHANICAL & ELECTRIC SYSTEMS: 25hp Beta Marine BD1005 diesel, fitted in March 1997, turning an offset, two-bladed, folding propeller. Reported as delivering 5.5 knots cruising and a little over 6 knots maximum speed. Larger, 50 Amp alternator fitted with a poly-drive belt. TMC40, 2:1 gearbox, with prop. shaft replaced and professional alignment 2014. Speed seal plate to the seawater pump. 3x12V DC deep cycle AGM batteries selected through double pole switch and voltage sensing relay (VSR). A BEP battery state indicator is fitted.
TANKAGE: A polyethene fuel tank with approx. 60 litres maximum capacity. Freshwater carried in rigid plastic tanks within the keel area, with a combined capacity of approx.100 litres.
Freshwater is drawn by foot pump to the for’d hand basin and by bronze-bodied hand pump at galley
DECK EQUIPMENT: Barient 21-33 self-tailing primary sheet winches. Antal W 16 self-tailing, mast-mounted halyard winches. Lewmar 16, self-tailing mainsheet winch. Lewmar 16, single speed winches for mainsail reefing pennants. 12V DC ‘Cayman 88’ by Lofrans electric windlass. Bruce 15kg main anchor with 50m of chain cable. Bruce 5kg kedge anchor, chain and approx. 15m of warp. Stainless steel 24″ stanchion and double guard-wires, double railed pulpit and pushpit. Pendulum servo-assisted wind-vane self-steering gear. Min. of 6 fenders & min. of 6 warps suitable for mooring. Acrylic mainsail cover and stays’l cover. Winter cockpit cover. Summer cockpit cover.
NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT: Ritchie magnetic steering compass. ST40 Bidata giving log and echo sounder readings. Furuno GP31 GPS. Garmin 451 GPS/colour chart plotter, Furuno 1621 radar, with deck stepped scanner mounting. Chronometer and Barometer. Nasa AIS ‘radar’ receiver. Safety Equipment Nasa SX35 GMDSS capable VHF radio. Seasava 4 person liferaft in a deck-stowed canister (out of service due date), Yeoman Sport chart plotter (for use in conjunction with paper charts) serviced May 2014. Man overboard recovery ring.
TRIUNE OF TROY needs little introduction as certainly one of the most famous yachts of her type in the UK. Her pedigree and history speak for its self. The owner, due to advancing age is looking for a new custodian for the next chapter. Lifted ashore in June 2019 and now back afloat. Contact us for more information, photographs or to arrange a visit aboard.
GUIDE: Sold – August 2020
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE